In Search of Answers
“Nearly everyone has a theory about who [Jesus] is. No matter the level of our faith or skepticism, we all find ourselves asking, ‘Who is this man?’”—AUTHOR STAN GUTHRIE.
PEOPLE are curious about Jesus. Books about him have become best sellers. Movies about him have become major box-office successes. Yet, questions about Jesus persist. People have varying opinions about who Jesus really was.
A few years ago, two journalists invited people to respond online to the question “Who was Jesus?” The answers included the following:
● “Apparently he was a rabbi (teacher) who made his life an example of compassion.”
● “He was an ordinary man who lived an extraordinary life.”
● “There is no proof that Jesus existed.”
● “Jesus is the Son of God who was born, died, and rose from the dead to save us from our sins. He lives today, and He will come to earth again.”
● “I believe Jesus Christ is the only son of God, fully human and fully divine, both at the same time.”
● “Jesus is a fairy tale for grown-up children.”
Clearly, such widely differing views cannot all be correct. Is there one reliable source of information that can give authoritative answers to our questions about Jesus? The publishers of this journal believe that the Bible is the Word of God and that it alone tells us the whole truth about Jesus. *—2 Timothy 3:16.
In the following article, we will consider the Bible’s answers to some common questions about Jesus. He himself said that the way to salvation is open to “everyone exercising faith in him.” (John 3:16) We invite you to examine the answers and then decide for yourself whether you need to learn more about Jesus and how to exercise faith in him.