JANUARY 1, 2013
BROOKLYN, N.Y.—Jehovah’s Witnesses have sold the former Hotel Bossert at 98 Montague Street, in the historic Brooklyn Heights neighborhood, to David Bistricer of Clipper Equity and the Chetrit Group. The Bossert was built in 1909, the same year that Jehovah’s Witnesses moved their world headquarters to Brooklyn Heights.
The Witnesses began using the building in 1983 and purchased it in 1988. They immediately undertook an extensive restoration of the entire building, in accordance with the Landmarks Preservation Commission’s historic district standards, winning awards for the work that was done in returning the building to its former turn-of-the-century elegance and charm.
Recently, Jehovah’s Witnesses have been consolidating a number of their operations in Brooklyn. The resulting decrease in the number of staff members has reduced their need for residential space in Brooklyn, leading to the sale of the building.
David Semonian, a media spokesman for the Witnesses, reflected: “We enjoyed caring for the Bossert for the last 25 years. It is a beautiful building, and we value the place that it has had in our history.”
David Semonian, Office of Public Information, tel. +1 718 560 5000